Whether you’ve got a new acoustic guitar as an early Christmas present or just want to start learning the best acoustic Christmas carols in time for the upcoming holiday festivities, you’ll find all the seasonal classics compiled in this list of the top 30 easy Christmas songs with chords.
Kids will have an easy time learning these songs because they’re probably already largely familiar with their melodies, as is true for many beginners of any age. This is a list for the pros, too; no matter how much you know, you can benefit from adding a couple of Christmas tunes to your setlist.
So, when you’re ready to sidle up next to the fireside to share some musical cheer, here’s a list of the top 30 easy Christmas songs with chords for you to play during the carol-crammed holidays.
Check out The Most Requested Christmas Songs Book on Amazon.
Top 30 Easy Guitar Christmas Songs
- 12 Days of Christmas – John Denver – Chords
- Let It Snow – Dean Martin – Chords
- Away in a Manger – Casting Crowns – Chords
- O Little Town of Bethlehem – Garth Brooks – Chords
- Deck the Halls – Debby Ryan – Chords
- Silver Bells – Jay Livingston – Chords
- The First Noel – Chris Tomlin – Chords
- Feliz Navidad – José Feliciano – Chords
- Good King Wenceslas – The Irish Rovers – Chords
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer – Dr. Elmo – Chords
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing – Charles Wesley – Chords
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby & Marjorie Reynolds/Irving Berlin – Chords
- I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Bob Dylan – Chords
- Jingle Bells – The Wiggles – Chords
- Joy to the World – Sufjan Stevens – Chords
- O Come All Ye Faithful – Casting Crowns – Chords
- O Holy Night – The Brian Setzer Orchestra – Chords
- Silent Night- Cyndi Lauper – Chords
- We Three Kings – George Strait – Chords
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas – The Irish Rovers – Chords
- A Holly Jolly Christmas – Burt Ives – Chords
- What Child is This – Johnny Cash – Chords
- Christmas Time – Bryan Adams – Chords
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Johnny Marks – Chords
- Up on the House Top – Benjamin Hanby – Chords
- I Saw Three Ships – Glen Campbell – Chords
- Happy Xmas – John Lennon – Chords
- Wonderful Christmastime – Paul McCartney – Chords
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Bruce Springsteen – Chords
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas – Meredith Wilson – Chords
Christmas songs often have simple and repetitive melodies, with simple chord progressions that are a perfect starting point for any beginner guitarist. This list is a large repertoire of easy songs that, when practiced to perfection, contain everything a player needs to learn the basics of acoustic guitar.
From traditional Christmastime hymns like “Silent Night” in the simple key of G, featuring 5 common chords that are found in thousands of songs, to the funny classics like “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” in the key of C, you’ll find carols in a variety of keys that will add to your mental guitar chord catalog.
⇒To warm up your Christmas mood, check out this movie on Amazon Prime.
Christmas songs are a great way to introduce children to guitar, being easily recognizable at the same age a kid is ready to pick up a musical hobby. Although many of the hymns can have a somber tone, kids will have fun learning songs like “Jingle Bells” and “Up On the House Top”.
Beginner to intermediate players can expect to find a couple of songs on this list that will challenge their skills, such as “Holly Jolly Christmas”, with several different 7th chords and a key modulation at the end.